BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 25, 2013

Last Day in Paradise

Today's our last day in Kauai, and we're on a red-eye flight late tonight so we'll be homeless vagabonds for the whole day once we check out of the hotel. We were here for my cousin's wedding last week and made a vacay out of it, only I got super sick and DH came down with it yesterday. It's like the plague, I swear. I missed several activities I've been looking forward to since last year, but there was no help for it as I spent two full days flat on my back in bed and still have a long way to go until I'm back to normal. I can't believe we're spending all this money to sit in our hotel room most of our stay! Gah.

I did have fun early on in the trip though. I finished up copy edits on Lethal Pursuit (out September 16th), then took both my boys out on a Zodiac whale watching tour with a marine biologist. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you already know how much I love humpbacks. Well. Not only did big weasel get to drive the same kind of boat the Navy SEALs use (holy awesome!), but the marine biologist had a hydrophone with her so we got to listen to the male singers sing beneath the water. So cool! (All humpback "singers" are male, but not all males sing, and they only sing in tropical waters. Also, the humpbacks don't eat while they're here, and won't until they go back to their northern feeding grounds for the summer in Alaska, etc. They fast for months while they're here to mate and give birth.)

I've been recording every documentary I could find about humpbacks for the past few months, so both the boys were well versed in whale trivia before we got here. We wound up seeing quite a few whales, and the most surface activity the marine biologist has seen all season long. Woot! I was a very wet, salty and happy camper. I hope the boys will never forget the experience, because I know I won't.

And look what I managed to catch on video! How amazing is that?! (I still get goosebumps watching this.)

The other neat thing that happened while we were here is that I received notification that Darkest Caress has been nominated for the best paranormal romance of 2012 by The Romance Reviews. I was pretty tickled about that. The paperback version goes out to Harlequin's PNR subscribers in June. Can't wait to hold it in my hands!

Once I get home I've got administrative stuff to catch up on, then I have to finish up my latest r/s manuscript and figure out what to do with it. Not relishing the thought of another long flight over the open ocean, so please flap your arms for us tomorrow night! (I love flying, I love flying, I love flying...)

Aloha! See you on the flip side ;).

0 comments: